False Arrests Imprisonment
False Arrests & Imprisonment
Award-Winning Civil Rights Attorneys Serving New York City
Being incarcerated in New York is never a desirable experience, but it can be even more devastating if the arrest is undeserved. Sometimes, mistakes are made or police and law enforcement legitimately believe they have evidence, leading inadvertently to the arrest of an innocent person. In other situations, however, individuals are falsely and improperly arrested with no just cause. If this happened to you or to a loved one, a New York civil rights lawyer can take action for this tremendous violation of your rights.
Call a Tough & Experienced Civil Rights Lawyer in New York City
At the Law Offices of Welton K. Wisham our New York City false arrest attorneys understand how traumatic a wrongful arrest can be. We have represented clients throughout New York to take action and obtain proper compensation for the pain and suffering they endured. Our team can fight for you compassionately and aggressively, providing the advocacy you need in order to achieve the justice you deserve.
When Does a Wrongful Arrest Occur?
The United States is very protective of the rights of its citizens. Both federal and state laws exist to ensure that citizens are not subjected to groundless arrests. Unfortunately, these rights can sometimes be ignored, resulting in an individual being unjustly imprisoned or unjustly held against his / her will.
If this happens to you and you are unlawfully imprisoned in New York, you should consult a false arrest lawyer right away. Wrongful arrests can happen when police imprison you or hold you in custody without probable cause or without a court order from a court that has authority over you. Police are not the only ones who can be responsible for a false arrest.
Unlawful imprisonment in New York can also occur when:
- A private security firm holds you against your will. For example, if a store accuses you of shoplifting and detains you illegally, you may be able to take action against the store’s security with the help of a lawyer.
- A person makes inaccurate accusations against you that have no basis in fact for the sole purpose of having you arrested. If someone who doesn’t like you goes to the police and tells them that you committed a crime, pressing charges and getting you arrested, the person who filed the false accusation may be responsible for false arrest.
- A bounty hunter acts outside of the bounds of the law in pursuing you and detaining you. If a bounty hunter goes outside the permitted jurisdiction and detains you against your will, this can constitute false imprisonment.
These are just some examples of situations where you may be able to make a claim for a false arrest or unjust imprisonment. We encourage you to seek the help of a New York City personal injury attorney. Our firm represents clients’ civil rights in NYC aggressively.
Your Rights When Falsely Imprisoned in New York
If you have been the victim of a false arrest, there are a number of legal actions you may take, including but not limited to the following:
- Making a federal claim for a civil rights violation under 42 U.S.C. Section 1983
- Making a personal injury / tort claim for false arrest or false imprisonment
- Making a personal injury / tort claim for malicious prosecution
These are just a few examples of the legal actions that you can take. An accomplished attorney at The Law offices of Welton K. Wisham can help you determine the strongest course of action in order to maximize your compensation and pursue the justice that you deserve.
Call our Manhattan 212 709 8183 APPOINTMENTS ONLY or Bronx office at (718) 924-3557 to schedule an appointment.