Police Brutality and Misconduct
Police Brutality and Misconduct Attorney in New York
Police brutality is broadly defined as the excessive use of physical force by law enforcement that results in unwarranted harm. If you, or someone you love, have been affected by the misconduct or illegal actions of a police officer, the law is on your side. In situations where NY law enforcement officials abuse their power, a New York police brutality lawyer can help you secure fair compensation for the injustice you have suffered. Do not let fear prevent you from exploring your civil rights with the legal advocates at Law Offices of Welton K. Wisham. Our Manhattan-based law firm has substantial experience representing plaintiffs in many types of police brutality cases and other civil rights violations. Reach out for a free and confidential consultation to learn more about pursuing a police misconduct claim.
Grounds for filing a NYC Police Brutality Lawsuit
When law enforcement officers engage in actions that deprive individuals of their civil rights or partake in inappropriate or illegal behavior in relation to their legal duties, they may be liable under state and federal law. Police brutality and misconduct are directly tied to discrimination and can result in a gross miscarriage of justice.
In 2016, the city of New York shelled out a staggering $228.5 million to resolve police misconduct lawsuits. This sum represents more than a quarter of the city’s annual budget.
When NYPD crosses the line of duty and physical, emotional or financial damages are sustained, victims need a skilled police misconduct attorney on their side. Law Offices of Welton K. Wisham offers aggressive advocacy for victims of:
- Excessive force/physical assault
- Discriminatory harassment
- Sexual misconduct
- False arrest
- Racial profiling
- Verbal attacks
- Unlawful searches and seizures
The NYPD has a monumental task in keeping the peace and ensuring the safety of our diverse neighborhoods. However, when protocols are ignored, and officers take matters into their own hands, they can face civil liability for any ensuing harm. Victims of police beatings, unlawful arrests and other injustices deserve compensation for their pain and suffering. At Law Offices of Welton K. Wisham, our talented attorneys make sure that law enforcement officers who abused their position are held responsible.
NYPD misconduct lawsuit payouts
Allegations of police brutality and misconduct in NYC are nothing new. In 2001 a poor Haitian immigrant who was sexually assaulted inside a Brooklyn police station received a $9 million settlement thanks in large part to his legal counsel. Enormous monetary payouts like this have made subtle improvements in the way that the NY Police Department trains, monitors and disciplines its officers, but complaints have still made headlines, and some have resulted in multimillion-dollar settlements.
- $5.9 million settlement paid to the family of Eric Garner, who suffered fatal injuries from a police officer who placed him in a chokehold while arresting him on Staten Island
- $4.1 million paid to the family of Akai Gurley, who was killed in a Brooklyn housing project by a ricocheting bullet fired off by a police officer
- $3 million payout to the family of Amadou Diallo, a West African immigrant who was fatally shot in the Bronx by cops who mistook his wallet for a gun. Police say the victim resembled a suspected rapist.
- -$600,000 settlement paid to Jateik Reed and three relatives in a NYPD police brutality lawsuit. Cell phone camera and video surveillance footage shows officers beating and kicking Reed in a borough of the Bronx and the case highlighted the controversial act of racial profiling.
Suing for police misconduct isn’t just about the money – although financial reparations are a necessary outcome for many victims and their loved ones. Litigation also serves another essential purpose: holding corrupt law enforcement authorities responsible for their actions and deterring similar conduct from others.
Compensation for victims of police brutality
While some police brutality claims grab national headlines, countless others do not. When suspects cooperate with law enforcement and excessive force is employed without cause, victims may be entitled to significant monetary reparations.
Our NYC police brutality attorneys are firmly committed to advocating for those who have suffered civil rights abuses. We work diligently to recover maximum damages on your behalf, while seeking accountability.
The strongest cases usually settle out of court, and can net a range of damages for:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Mental anguish
- Attorney fees
- Punitive damages
Police misconduct claims in NYC have specific procedures and legal standards that must be met, underscoring the need for expert legal representation. Many law firms decline these cases because they are too challenging and labor-intensive to take on. The best lawyers to sue NYPD are those who have the resources and tactical skill to confront governmental agencies that allow abuse of authority. If you believe your rights were violated, contact Law Offices of Welton K. Wisham to speak with a New York City police misconduct attorney.
Expert representation from our NY Police Brutality Lawyer
Any form of misconduct from those who are sworn to protect should not be tolerated. Our civil rights lawyers can help victims of racial profiling, assault, unlawful arrest and other types of police misconduct seek justice. There are state and federal laws designed to protect citizens from unjustifiable police violence, and our legal team knows exactly what is needed to build a strong, compelling case. Protect your rights by calling the Law Offices of Welton K. Wisham today.
How do I file a complaint against a police department?
- Document Everything As Soon As Possible – Memories fade and details can be forgotten or misremembered if you wait to document what happened to you.
- Talk to a Civil Rights Attorney – Explain your situation to an attorney who specializes in civil rights in New York. A lawyer is your best option to understand if you have a case and the potential recovery.
- Prepare (Do not send) a police Misconduct Report – It’s important to prepare but not send a formal complaint. If the complaint is sent before any formal lawsuit is filed you may inadvertently give away key information that could hurt your case.
- Follow All Advice Given By Your Attorney – Police Misconduct cases are tricky and you don’t want to unintentionally hurt your case.
Call our Manhattan 212 709 8183 APPOINTMENTS ONLY or Bronx office at (718) 924-3557 to schedule an appointment.
Additional Resources on Police Brutality:
- Department of Justice, POLICE MISCONDUCT LAWS ENFORCED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE https://www.justice.gov/crt/addressing-police-misconduct-laws-enforced-department-justice
- com, Police Brutality Laws in the United States https://study.com/academy/lesson/police-brutality-laws-in-the-united-states.html
- ACLU, Police Excessive Force https://www.aclu.org/issues/criminal-law-reform/reforming-police-practices/police-excessive-force
- Reuters, N.Y. City to pay $600,000 in police brutality case https://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-police-idUSKBN13Y2DB